Renting with ResponseRE
- Response Real Estate requires that you must inspect a property before your application is approved.
- Lodge an Application for Tenancy (download here, but we must receive a signed original) and all requested supporting documentation.
- When your application is approved, confirm the date the lease begins and the term of the lease and pay the required reservation fee (which is then deducted from monies owing). You should also then organise to sign the lease documents as soon as possible.
Signing the tenancy agreement
- When signing the Residential Tenancy Agreement (lease) you will receive a copy of the agreement, a Residential Premises Condition Report (which must be completed, signed and dated and returned to Response Real Estate within seven days) and a full set of keys.
- When you sign the lease you will need to pay the required bond and two weeks rent (less the reservation fee already paid).
- Before you move in don't forget to connect the electricity and phone and it is advisable to also take out contents insurance for your belongings (as these are not covered by the owners insurances).
While you are a tenant
- Please report any repairs or maintenance requests to our office promptly. You can do this by either contacting your Response Office directly or through online Maintenance Request
- You are required to pay rent in advance on or before the due date.
- Where there is a yard you need to water and generally maintain the lawns and gardens.
- Response Real Estate will carry out regular inspections of the property and you will be given prior notice when these are occurring. It is the tenant's responsibility to keep the property in good order during their tenancy.
- Make sure Response Real Estate always have up to date contact details for you (telephone and email).
- Make sure you have prior approval before making any alterations to the property including installing Foxtel, putting up picture hooks, installing extra phone lines etc.
- Check if you are responsible for paying for your water usage and budget for this if applicable.
- If you are locked out during Response Real Estate Office Hours then you will need identification to collect a spare set of keys and these must be returned to us by close of business that day. If you are locked out outside of business hours a fee will be charged to provide a spare set of keys.
When you are sharing a rental property
- Have house rules in place to ensure that all rents and utilities are paid on or before the due date.
- Put someone in charge of liaising with Response Real Estate and ensuring rent is not in arrears, repair and maintenance requests are lodged and all tenants are aware of property inspections.
- When one or more of the tenants change you will need to contact Response Real Estate to organise a new lease agreement and other formalities (transfer of bond money, new tenant application etc).
- For more information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant then click here to visit the Office of Fair Trading Website.